Submitted: 11-27-2005 by Randy

I put the Spirit Sails 'Mid-size' sail on my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i SOT without rudder. It DOES make a BIG difference when the wind is favorable! With the wind directly behind me my kayak will fly. My best speed so far is 6.5 mph as measured by GPS. Without a rudder, it is necessary to make an easy paddle cadence to fine tune your track.

I have used the sail with the winds nearly 90 degrees square and easily got an 'assist', but minor corrective tracking paddling is required. However, the paddling involved was far less effort than would have been required with no sail.

All things considered, it's an easy set-up or take-down. Adjusting the angle is quick and simple, IF the base is within easy reach.

With this 'mid-size' unit, my kayak remains very stable regardless of wind gusts. I have never felt the least amount of instability or any hint of capsize. I am quite comfortable with it. It's simple and effective in the downwind sense. I recommend it. Rudder, or no rudder, it's an excellent, worthwhile purchase.