Submitted: 02-08-2000 by RBA

I built my Coho last summer and I don't believe it is possible for the time and money spent to get a better sea kayak. Wind has virtually no affect on it. I paddle without a rudder and have not felt a need for one under any circumstance. It is fast and still has a high degree of maneuverability. The cockpit is large and the seat, while it may not look it, is quite comfortable. Storage space is ample for almost any kind of trip. I bought a hatch kit when I ordered but have not installed them. I probably won't now since the boat looks so nice with just bungees on the deck and I most likely will just use it for day trips. As it is the moveable seat back makes loading for a day or even an overnight very easy.

I have had the Coho in 3 foot seas on Galveston Bay and felt very secure and comfortable. It is a delight to paddle it on still water with it's stability and glide. If I have any complaint it would be that maintenance may be higher than a glass boat. I pulled it ashore over gravel with little affect but scraped the bottom on oyster shell and had to repair some scratches. A little sanding and some spar varnish made it good as new.

In my opinion it is one of the prettiest boats on the water. I have recieved many compliments both on it's looks and handling. For what it's worth it looks as good on a rack as it does on the water. If you have a space and can spend about 80-100 hours working I don't see how you can do better than a Coho. The pygmy boat people were friendly and helpful any time I asked for help. The kit was well made and easier to assemble than you would think.