Submitted: 11-04-2005 by buleohara

We own the Escape in a standard kevlar layup, 50# is perfect for single person to carry. Our needs - My wife and I have a 3 year old, we live in Pennsylvania where we use the boat for touring local lakes, rivers and trips in protected coastal estuaries along east coast. We are more accustomed to kayaks but since our daughter arrived we wanted a boat to carry 3 in variety of conditions and NOT a 20 ft, 80# monster kayak with child in mid storage portal.

This boat has served our unusual needs extremely well! A canoe design for the kayak couple with child or other visitor. The lively initial stability is a non-factor, even for our 3 year old. If you assume this craft is going to feel like a flatbottomed tank then maybe you would be uncomfortable? The secondary stability is fantastic! It is a very safe family boat. We test it all the time, we had it in very rough Delaware seas with white caps, taking waves at times from the side - not a problem! The hull is so well designed waves are a real treat and our daughter loves them, she asks for more! The depth of the bow is perfect, my wife claims on a number of trips if the bow was 1" lower she would be soaked!

My wife and I both use a 210 Werner Corryvrecken glass paddle (which we also love), at a fast cadence we can really get this boat cruising! Prefer these over the bent shaft canoe paddles since we are more comfortable with kayak paddles due to our experience. Part of the reason why we bought the Escape is because it has plenty of swing room with narrow gunwales which is a real treat!

Daddy can take it out solo sitting on a milk crate. Narrow enough at mid section to use 210 paddle! Found the 17.5 length is acceptable for solo use and can steer with lean. Very fast, fun, nice glide as others have written.

Fast enough we push through the wind and can cut through waves when conditions get rough. Open craft easy enough to jump in and out of when stopping to explore and collect shoreline goodies. For those families who want to get on the water with a child and cover some distance, the escape is fun and functional! We love it! If you only had room to store a single boat for a wide range of use, this is the design! Well done Wenonah!