Submitted: 11-02-2005 by AAK

Somewhat of a mystery kayak since, so far as Perception's website is concerned, the boat doesn't exist. A guy at the local paddling shop figures it was a specialty model made specifically for a particular (although unknown to him) retail outlet. In any event, said paddling shop got a couple unused Monarchs in a lot they picked up from an outfitter, and I got a solid starter boat with all the features I wanted (two water tight compartments, skeg, 15') for substantially less than a semi-comparable and generally available starter kayak such as a Blackwater or Arcadia.

I agree with all that the previous reviewers have said--for the novice, a great, sturdy boat that tracks nicely and turns with ease. It has served me well this season and I imagine it will continue to do so into the future.

By way of comparison, I started kayaking in my girlfriend's old Blackwater 12', and the Monarch cuts the water much more cleanly.