Submitted: 10-28-2005 by NW

I purchased this kayak for solo waterfowling and for fishing. I have used it a couple of times. What I don't like - it is somewhat heavy, but I can deal with that as I am a big guy at 6' 2" and 270lbs. Being large framed, I fit into and get out of this kayak no problem. I purchased a Paddlecart in order to walk a couple miles into an area before I can paddle to my hunting spot. This makes life much easier.

The kayak is quite stable for me, a couple of dozen duck decoys, a few large magnum goose floating decoys and my gear in a drybag and my shotgun and my 35lb American Water Spaniel. It tracks and paddles well. I have used the kayak to sneak up on unsuspecting ducks to try and flush them (to be honest - I need a little practice doing this).

The paddle strap is great. The handles are great. The mesh zippered work deck works just fine. The rear tie down mesh was torn and was replaced by Old Town quite promptly. To tell you the truth, I would love to get another work deck for the rear. One thing I would like Old Town to do is to put some bungee tie downs on the bow and the stern of this kayak. I will put them on myself to lash down extra decoys and/or grass to camo it up a bit more.

I got this kayak on sale for $692 which I thought was a great price. I recommend this kayak for larger frame hunters looking for a hunting kayak.

Botetourt County Tourism: