Submitted: 10-19-2005 by Viking

I bought the Fjord Rudder on the recommendation of my dealer, and when I first put it in the water, I found it to be stable, but easily capsized due to the fact that very little lean is forgivable. I spoke with the dealer and was reassured that they would never, never, never put me in a wrong kayak. As I was new to the game, I tried hard to believe them. Then I took a skills course and the instructional outfitter did not use my brand of kayak. The ones they used did not have hard chines, and were more forgiving on edging and leaning.

After passing the course with flying colors, I returned home to my Fjord, and promptly dumped it three times in twenty minutes attempting to put into practice what I had learned about edging. After reading another review on the 15 percent lean and then gone, I can see that I was edging too deeply.

My dealer has since called me, and taken the kayak in trade as he had a sale for it. I presently own the skeg version of the same boat, but it is hanging above his counter as display as winter is coming. If I can talk him into it, by spring perhaps I will own an Impex Currituck. Additionally, my emails to Boreal Design have as yet been unanswered. I do have the free T-Shirt however for having passed a certified skills course.