Submitted: 10-17-2005 by trivalleycanoeist

I bought this boat two years ago so I could paddle into the winter with friends who have touring kayaks. I also wanted a boat that could handle moderate whitewater. So far I'm happy with it.

There are some things about it that are a compromise, but isn't that the idea? I don't have a problem with the backband because I primarily paddle marathon racing canoes, so back support of any kind seems like a luxury.

I learned how to roll in this boat, so I can't say if it's easy to roll or not because I haven't tried rolling anything else. I use a 204 cm Foxworx whitewater paddle and can keep up with 16-18 foot touring boats just fine when just cruising along.

I don't use the skeg, even on flatwater because it feels as though it creates too much drag. Although, when I loan it to someone who isn't used to a boat that turns this easily I have them use the skeg. As far as whitewater goes, I've paddled the Sacandaga and Schroon in NYS and it seems to go downriver nicely.

It will even surf pretty well if you anticipate a little when getting into the holes. The whitewater paddlers laugh at it and call it a barge, but I can do more with this one boat than I could with two specialized kayaks.

The plastic construction is tough, which leads to my only criticism and that is the weight. It weighs around 50 pounds, but as long as you don't have to carry it too far it's not that bad. Durablity is more important than light weight with a boat like this. The extra weight isn't really noticed on the water. Set up with a Harmony LC1 skirt and a pair of gloves, I can paddle until the rivers freeze in central NY and still be comfortable, which was what I had in mind when I bought the boat.

I give it a 10 because I think Dagger did a great job when they designed the Crossover.

Harken Hoister: