Submitted: 10-12-2005 by atkint

I give the Souris River Quetico 18.5 9/10. I would not give any canoe a 10/10 because no canoe is perfect. I have the Le Tigre model weighs about 45-48# (depending on brochure you look at.

What I can say is that this model is perfect for me.

Positives: STABILITY--I don't know if there is a more stable canoe out there. This canoe great on rough water or unstable loads (i.e. dog or children). Great to fish out of. I have been in 3-4 foot rollers (not suggesting you should do this) with my wife and never once felt like we would tip--once again stability was awesome. Has an internal skid plate so reduces drag. I have had my canoe in the BWCAW/Quetico for over 56 days of hard use. It has stood up well. I do not abuse my equipment, but I do not baby it either--I maybe would qualify myself as rough on equipment. So far I have been happy with it's durability.

The one negative I can think is the flatter bottom which gives the 18.5 more stability and lets it ride higher in the water makes it a little susceptible to wind blowing it off of course--especially if it is not trimmed well or has no load. This will also make it a little slower than comparable models. You have to give up something for the added stability. The speed is not that noticeable to me and it more than makes up for it when the waves are high---you will appreciate the stability and then it becomes faster than comparable brands. We are always passing people when wind/high waves are an issue.

Final analysis: Stable canoe that can haul big loads and handle rough water.