Submitted: 10-06-2005 by knf

I owned two Manitous, a Pungo 140, and three kids Carolina 12 for couple years now and I am very pleased with the Manitouís performance. My family paddle in Minnesota and Wisconsin rivers and lake. We (me, my wife and four kids-ages 5, 6, 7, 9) went river camping several times the past couple years and had a blast. The Manitou should be able to hold enough gear for a weekend trip. I am 5'7" and 200lb, but I don't seem to have problem with the seat adjustments at all as others have observed. It's quite comfortable for me and my wife. In fact, the wilderness Pungo 14 with the 3-phase seating is quite uncomfortable for both of us. I have backache with the Pungo seat after paddling for a few hours whereas I don't experience the same with the Manitou.

I even took my brother-in-law to Wolf River in Wisconsin and we paddled the Manitous in solid class III white water without problem. He tipped over a few times initially but once he got the hang of it he paddle well. The kayaks have big scratches from the sharp boulders, but are very sturdy and well built.

I am very pleased with the Manitou and will definitely buy more as my kids get old enough to paddle them.