Submitted: 09-26-2005 by kheyashunka

This is a followup now that I have driven the Khats all season.

The Khats trips nice, I can easily get my outfit distributed properly to keep the boat trim. It is easy to pack everything needed for 3-5 days below deck. I use the standard height rib #4 when expeditioning and also inflate the sponsons slightly. Fully loaded in 4-6 footers, with strong winds, the Khats handled terrific.

It is not the fastest boat on the water. I can find a comfortable pace with the Greenland paddle that is a good touring speed though. I'm not racing.

The skeg is effective in windy conditions to minimize battling the weather cocking. I found a rock (8-10lbs) that when I place directly in/under the rear hatch the boat trims out nice for windy conditions.

The Khats is a good roller. I have added/perfected several Greenland style rolls this season. I have a brooks tuilik that fits the oversized cockpit. I would prefer the cockpit opening was smaller, part of the cockpit on the Khats would be foredeck on a qajaq. It also takes on a lot of water during roll practice when using a sprayskirt. I found that was the case for most boats at Greenland TC so I didn't feel too bad. The rolling rib could be a little shorter, but it is noticeably easier to roll with it than the standard height rib 4.