Submitted: 09-19-2005 by MLH

I am a beginner to intermediate paddler. I outgrew my bathtub of a boat, the Wilderness Systems Tsunami 140 very quickly. Rolling that boat placed bruises all over me due to all the flopping around (even with customizing foam).

The Chatham 18 is amazing. As a beginner, the boat felt unstable but I quickly found the primary stability to be fantastic and not a problem. To my surprise, this long boat turns like a dream just by a bit of edging. Really nice. I was paddling 10 mile trips on average in a large lake and now 15-20 miles feels like the shorter trips. There was a lot of wasted energy paddling the Tsunami as opposed to this boat that really relays your body movements to the boat.

I love it and feel it will be a boat a beginner/intermediate paddler can grow into. Most likely is a good boat for me for another 3-5 years.

P.S. ratchet system is kind of kooky-isn't that off the whitewater boats???