Submitted: 09-17-2005 by Holmes375
I've tried a number of carts over the years, primarily when renting boats while traveling. None of them ever impressed me enough to make a buyer out of me.

Now that I'm middle aged, lazy, and have a new wooden kayak, I decided it was time to get a good cart!

Searched the reviews across the 'net and found this product by The Richards Group. Price seemed most reasonable but I couldn't find anyone who had actually used one. During a conversation with Mark Richards, I was informed the cart had only been available for a short time.

The cart looked good and appeared to fit my needs so I went ahead and ordered one sight and unseen. Mark offers an unconditional guarantee so I felt rather safe.

The PaddleCart arrived timely and assembly was a painless chore that lasted but a few seconds. Construction is very impressive. Real wheels/tires/bearings and a solid axle that's fully gusseted. All metal edges had been cleaned up so storage in a kayak won't scratch or otherwise damage the boat.

This cart uses no kickstand which is a feature that originally attracted me to it. Less parts, easier to stow, and it simply doesn't need a stand. Loading the boat is straight forward and simple.

Overall weight is just shy of the 7 lb mark and the disassembled cart easily stows in my boats.

I first tested the PaddleCart in the Tetons for the portage between String & Leigh lakes. An easy off road portage of about 150 yards and the PaddleCart made the task a breeze. All the other paddlers were very impressed with it.

Since the portage was an easy one, I decided to try the cart in a more aggressive manner. I strapped my lightly loaded plastic T-165 on and took off through the forest along some hiking trails. Double timed for a while, uphill, downhill, twisties, etc. No worries with this cart. The 12.5" x 2.25" pneumatic tires cushioned the ride and the overall design lent excellent tracking and maneuvering. I did manage to upset it once while jogging with the rig when I hit some big rocks and snagged a stubborn bush. The straps stayed tight so I just righted the rig and took off again. (The straps on this cart are a big improvement over its competition.) I've never used a cart before that I could have subjected to this kind of obstacle course.

To summarize, I highly recommend the PaddleCart. I've two friends who have subsequently purchased their own PaddleCarts and they are as happy as I am. Not many better ways to spend $79!

You'll find the product excellent and the company delivers great service and shipping.