Submitted: 09-16-2005 by AndyG
The Glider was my first glass boat after two years in a CD Scirocco. It doesn't have a rudder and I raced it for 2 years w/o one. When racing there were too many correcting strokes and I would waste valuable energy and time to stay on track after a passing boat or current change. But w/o a rudder you really learn how to handle a boat. I finally just installed a Sealine system and the rudder is a necessity. Now you can concentrate on your forward stroke and stay your course or get out of someone's way in a hurry at the start of a race. Here's how I rate it:

• Touring - 10
  • Racing - 7-8 due to weight limitations
  • Turning (while racing) 90 degrees - 8 of 10
  • Turning 180 degrees - 6 of 10 (you must practice tight turns because the built in hull type skeg in the stern enables you to track well over distances bet defeats the turning ability in tight quarters.)
  • Windy Conditions - 6 of 10 (While racing around Jamestown, RI 15 miles, I had to stop for other issues nothing to do w/ the boat. 3 racers passed me. This was the downwind leg with the tide and current. Over the next five miles I settled in and caught all three boats. Turned into the wind on the Northern leg and then 6 miles into the wind heading south and all three boats slowly but surely walked away from me.)
  • Following Seas - 7 of 10 (gets squirrelly due to the lack of rocker in the stern. You have to brace and watch yourself. Like most boats.)
  • Weight 48 lbs w/ Rudder it's Kevlar w/ Glass overlay on Hull. Fit & Finish 10 of 10
  • Resistance to Wear Factor - 10 of 10 (This boat looks new on the water - it's five years old.)
  • Hardware/Decking - 10 of 10
  • Resale - 10 of 10
  • Cockpit - Roomy the way I like it.
  • Hatches - 10 of 10 dry as a bone
  • Length - 9 of 10 (it's long @ 19ft.)
  • Boat Appeal - 9 of 10
  • Cruising w/o effort - 4mph
  • Cruising w/ effort - 5 to 5.5
  • Racing - 5.5 to 5.9 (steady pacing)
  • Racing - Sprint - 6.2to 6.5 mph (hard to sustain)

I would be hard pressed to sell this boat so I recommend it highly. If I bought a race specific boat I would still keep the glider. This is an all around fast cruising day boat that can do expeditions fully loaded and you are always in front of the pack.

• Your E-mail Address: