Submitted: 09-14-2005 by bobyak

I used the Cayuga 14'-6" last July in the Kayak for a Cause trip across the Long Island Sound, in NY. It was my first time using a sea kayak. I have been using an Old Town 138T for years in slightly tamer waters.

The Cayuga performed very well. It was easy to paddle and was very stable in 3ft to 4ft swells. The initial and secondary stability were very good. The boat is very easy to turn without using the rudder. It handled waves beautifully, I was able to surf 2 to 3 waves consecutively over and over again. The boat was easy to paddle and was pretty fast, I covered the 12 miles of open water in less than 3 hours - the first hour of which I spent a lot of time waiting for other people in the group. When I got in the groove the boat really moved nicely. Although I will say that you really feel like there is a lot more boat in front of you compared to some of the more sleek and low kayaks I have tried since (i.e. the Necky Chatham 16, though of course the Necky is much more money). The tall deck accounted for a few smashed knuckles into the deck during the trip.

I am 5'-10" and 160 lbs and was pretty comfortable in the boat. The seat is comfortable, with good lumbar support. The thigh braces happen to fit me just right but are not adjustable so paddlers of different heights may have a problem (you would have to drill new holes if you want to relocate them). The small hatch in front of the cockpit was very convenient. It fit a bottle of water and some power bars with room to spare. It was nice because it was out of the spray skirt and right in front of you. Overall I was pretty happy with the boat am giving serious consideration to buying one. Itís a lot of boat for the money.

PFD Buyers' Guide: