Submitted: 09-13-2005 by AOR

I have the rollers paired with saddles on a Ford Ranger pickup with a canopy. I have similar difficulties as the previous reviewer in that the optimal distance for setting the rollers for loading is not the same as the optimal distance needed for travel. I have an 18'5" Seaward Chilco - narrow bow and stern. I move the rollers close together when loading, and then move them apart afterwards for travel. Because they are so close together when loading, it can be difficult for the chines to track along the rollers, and it can be a bit of a struggle to load the boat safely. While I think the rollers do help a bit with loading, I think two pairs of saddles may work at least as well.

I've heard of mini-rollers that can be purchased to sit between the Hully Rollers and solve my problem, but I may first try some PVC pipe between the rollers and see how it goes. I've also noticed that when my boat or my rollers are wet, the rollers do not actually roll at all, and the boat just skids along the rollers. Truth be told, it will still load this way, so skidding or rolling, the boat does end up where it's meant to go. The rollers are not a bad product, but I am only giving them a six because they will need modifications/additions to do the job well.

Yak Pads: