Submitted: 09-12-2005 by PS

I took a long while narrowing down the many choices. Criteria were light weight, good stability, reasonably good paddling ease and one maker to not complicate the decision. I have a decent amount of paddling experience while my wife has some and my 3 year old would be tagging along for the ride. Narrowed down to the Penobscot and Camper and ended up with Camper. So far have had it on a still canal, open lake with 10 knot winds, slow moving river and a river with some moderately fast flat water. performed well in each situation. Tracks reasonably well with a J stroke. Good stability with the little one moving around or leaning over the side. Very happy with the canoe. The royalex glides very smoothly over rocks though it does scratch easily. I added seat backs which really improve comfort on casual paddles.