Submitted: 09-08-2005 by Jim Carroll

I am 6'7", 220+ lb (~ 2M tall, 100+ Kg). My inseam is 37" and my shoe size is 15. That's just to give you an idea of perhaps the maximum size guy who should consider buying the Kestrel 120 HV, which I got in the TCS layup. I'm an experienced canoeist and a beginning kayak paddler; this is the first kayak I've owned. I had been doing a lot of reading and research and paddled a couple of other kayaks before settling on the Kestrel. I have had prior positive experiences with WeNoNah canoes, too, and the same company handles CD Kayaks.

I am not disappointed. I haven't done any rough stuff with the boat; my paddling needs are for casual upstream paddling on my backyard river. I can go about eight miles before the river is too shallow and rocky. The boat seems to acquit itself well in winds from all quarters and in choppy powerboat wakes, and feels very stable.

This isn't much of a performance review, but I thought the size reference might be useful to other big paddlers looking for a boat. With the foot pegs all the way forward, I can brade my feet comfortably without my toes rubbing the underdeck, and the whole thing fits quite well.