Submitted: 09-05-2005 by cooldoctor1

This is my second Capri purchase, it is THAT good. These are wonderful, firm HTP blow molded (not rotomolded) 12 foot, 44 lb gems. Look for another plastic kayak with this stiff a hull and this weight and you will sadly not find one. Although Perception, Wilderness Systems etc. have fancier ads in the kayak 'zines, and they do make some nice higher end kevlar/fiberglass products, none of their rec boats match the German made Prijon. Mine are yellow and mango green, and they fly fast and steady (no rudder--optional, but not necessary on these) in the water.

I have taken on large lakes with boat wakes and wind, as well as curvy, narrow streams, and they do very well indeed. I am 69 inches and about 170 lbs; harder perhaps for anyone over about 210 lbs to get a proper fit. I agree with the other reviewers about the seat, and thus the ding of one point on my review. The seat pad is removable and thin, and the seat position is not adjustable (like its big brother the Calabria--see my disappointed review). The main gripe is the low seat back, which is not adjustable up or down as it has two metal posts that must be secured to the seat bottom; would be nice even at my moderate size to get the seat back higher; this is not adjustable. The screw on hatch is very waterproof, but there is no front hatch so I agree with reviewer, this is a rec boat perfect for several hours of cruising, but not for overnight gear, tents, etc.

This is my second Capri, and the first is used by my wife and kids. That is a very strong validation that I would, even with the plethora of kayaks available, choose the same one again. And I am a picky son-of-a-gun, too! So, I really have no regrets, and dollar for dollar, this is the fastest and best darn boat going. I have a GMC Sierra, and the 12 footers slide right in back with about 2 feet off the tailgate; couple of ratchet cables and we are ready to rock n roll. I thought about the Capri tandem, but then you cannot use alone, and I find that having two is better, more flexible, and when my 10 year old son tires, I throw him a rope and pull him with ease. The boat is that smooth through the water. Enjoy and support Prijon.