Submitted: 09-03-2005 by cooldoctor1

A bit of a disappointment compared to my Prijon Capri (see review). I love my 12 foot, 44 lb Capri, and still feel it is the best bang for buck in small plastic kayaks; the Capri is stiff HTP plastic, very fast and holds a line very well for a 12 ft boat. I bought the Calabria, 14.5 feet, 54 lbs for a day tourer with more storage (it does have this on the Capri for sure), and that could hold a line on larger lakes, reservoirs and maybe even great lakes.

It actually--without rudder--tracks WORSE than my Prijon Capri. There is no keel, and I believe with the longer profile it catches crosswind that the Capri does not and --as other reviewers mention below, some emphatically, but even the reviewers that love the boat seem to mention it--one must work to keep it tracking. It is not a "chore" unless windy and weathercocking, but even with breezeless flatwater paddles, it can be an issue; I find myself adjusting my paddle stroke strength one on side or other to keep tracking smoothly.

Although I agree with prior reviewers that it turns well and responds well to leaning, and is fast, I do not feel that the 10 lb (about 20%!) weight premium over the Capri is well spent as the tracking is not improved. Please note that, I have adjusted the seat, and with the seat in a more forward (frontward) position, the front end stays in water and tracking may be a very small amount improved).

I do like Prijon boats in general (although feel their accessories, such as paddles, are heavy and antiquated), and have stuck with the brand and would continue to do so. Very well constructed (German made, like a Benz) with adjustable seat, thigh braces, etc.

NOTE: I have not yet added the $199 rudder, but have it ordered from Prijon, and will install and update this review--the reviewer below seems to feel it made a huge difference, I will give you my experience. Bottom line: rudderless, anyway, the Capri is lighter, cheaper cost (but same high quality build), and tracks better and is just as speedy.