Submitted: 09-01-2005 by SER

I purchased my boat from a dealer in Farmville, VA, Appomattox River Company. I went looking for a boat that I could use for a variety of uses, lake and river, with some rocks around. The dealer sold me an Algonquin 16 in Goldenglass, assuring me amid my doubts that the material would hold up to the punishment I would give it.

The boat is fabulous for flatwater in lakes where there is nothing to hit. It is very fast very seaworthy in the waves, easy to paddle tandem or solo, and resistant to the wind, but after 3 runs on the river in CI-II water the boat had major damage, large cracks in the hull. I contacted Appomattox and they decided to change their story on the boats capability essentially telling me it was my fault and I was stuck with the boat

Think twice about business with these guys, they are more interested in selling you something than in you being happy with your purchase. Swift was a little more helpful, offering to pick up the boat and repair it, but it looks like I will still have the eat the cost for a boat I can't really use that much. If you ONLY do lake paddling this is a fantastic boat, but if the boat will ever touch a rocky river or Class rapids get a different boat.