Submitted: 08-26-2005 by Kat Allen

I have had my Prijon Motion for a few months now. I have been very happy with this boat. The Motion was the first boat I purchased, but I have had years experience in Perception and Necky sea touring kayaks.

First, let me tell you what I really love about this boat. First- it's so customize-able! The very comfortable seat and thigh braces are very adjustable, and the gas-pedal style footpegs are just great. I also love that this boat really has the potential to grow with a relatively inexperienced paddler as they gain skills and confidence. I like the way the Motion handles over waves and in choppy waters, and it tracks well on a calm day. There are tons of cool features on this boat- in addition to loads of stowage space; it has a cool neoprene sock under the forward deck that is easy to access and perfect for water bottles and sunscreen. Another thing I love about this boat is its ability to speed up when you push it- and the fact that it doesn't want to stop! If you stop paddling for a rest or a drink, it keeps on cruising!

There are some things that make this boat's score lower than a perfect 10, though. The first few times I got in the Motion, I felt quite tippy and afraid to fall in until my legs were securely in the boat. This is due to the flat bottomed hull, and also to the fact that boats I have paddled in the past are V-shaped. However, as I have gotten more confident in my Motion, I find that the flat bottom is very maneuverable, fast, and great for carving. I took this unusual hull design for an Eskimo roll clinic at my local pool and was impressed by the way it rolls compared to V-shaped hulls. This boat is heavy for one person to lift, and although the material flexes less that roto-moulded boats, it still feels a little whippy in harsh conditions. My biggest issue with this boat is that there is a lot of volume above the waterline. Even though this makes it comfortable and spacious, it makes the tracking abilities of this boat decrease severely in even a slight side wind.

As a solo paddler, I like to feel confident and secure in my boat. The Motion's beautifully designed cockpit features make me feel like the boat was made for me, and as my skills grow, this boat makes a perfect showcase for them. I would highly recommend this boat to a smaller paddler with some experience in search of a boat with lots of room and comfort for use on mostly protected ocean water.