Submitted: 08-25-2005 by MCAA

I've owned a plastic Shadow 16.5 for nearly two years. I have read reviews that comment on the difficulty of rolling this boat and have to disagree. Within two days of trying to roll the boat, I was able to roll it almost every time. If the Screw roll fails, the Steyr roll always works. In fact, the boat can be rolled with one half of a detachable two bladed paddle in the Steyr position, i.e. lean back and use the half paddle like a propeller. The boat can also be rolled using a foam cushion paddle float (no paddle) with a hip flick. I'm 5'5" 130 lbs and the boat fits me well. I haven't tried a hand roll with this boat; my guess is that this might be hard. All in all I'm happy with this boat though having had limited experience with other kayaks I can't make a qualified judgments.