Submitted: 08-25-2005 by Dan B

I am retiring my Caption after wearing it out on hundreds of river trips. I'm 6'4", 190 lbs. Most of the time I paddled it solo. The triple saddle does add weight and bailing difficulty but the flexibility gives strength to a river group. Many swimmers have appreciated a dry ride back to their boats!

My other boat is a 10' Detonator. The Caption will take 5 heavy strokes to get the speed of 3 lighter ones in the Detonator. But then the Detonator tops out and you can continue to add speed to the Caption. The result is good final speed and momentum, with enough boat length to bridge many holes. Very dry. A feeling of power and stability.

Some days I'd take the Mini Cooper Detonator threading the rock sieves and other days I'd blast across the waves in the HemiCuda Caption. Your experience may depend on how much you gotta pay for your gas.