Submitted: 08-24-2005 by Bob

I've had my Old Town Otter for about 5 years. When I got it, I also bought footpegs, a skirt, a paddle holder, and deck rigging. It was a replacement for my old fiberglass Phoenix.

All I can say is that this boat has got to be one of the best values for the money I've ever had. I've probably paddled it more than 200 miles on flatwater to Class II rivers. A couple of years ago, I upgraded the seat to the new version that folds down, so I could have some storage behind me. My guess is that I've got about $350 in it.

Whenever anyone asks me what kind of first kayak to purchase, I always tell them to buy an Otter to get their feet wet. There are quite a few competitors these days, but I'll take my Otter over any of them.

If I ever upgrade, I'll probably buy an Old Town Otter Sport -- available thru Dick's Sporting Goods only. It has a high cockpit that'll keep waves out, and has a little more maneuverability.

You can take my original Otter when you pry my wrinkled wet fingers off of it!