Submitted: 08-23-2005 by veenstrar
I just traded my 17'VCP Skerray RMX for a 13.5'Tampico XL. Why? #1 reason 56 lbs vs 39 lbs and I did not anticipate crossing the English Channel anytime soon.

I bought the Valley with bigger plans in mind than the reality of my day to day use. The 56lbs became a real drag (sometimes literally) from the car to the water and 17' was too much for most smaller flat water.

I compared the Tampico (on paper and on the water) against the CD Kestral 120, Eddyline Skylark and Swift Saranac 14. All these models are of comparable thermal formed plastic. The Tampico provided 2 hatches and bulkheads versus most of the competition's 1. The Tampico was the lightest of the group and best priced.

Is it the perfect boat no, but for the money it's a great boat. Roomy for me 5"10", 190lbs and size 10 shoes. I have the pegs up 3 or 4 stops from the bottom whereas the Valley I had to modify them to gain some length. Oh and did I mention 13.5' x 23" x 39#.

The previous reviewer mentioned the limited colors. When I bought mine there were 5 choices for top color all with a white hull and not being available at your local sporting good big box store is not a bad thing in my book.

Put this at the top of your demo list.