Submitted: 08-22-2005 by rider604

To start - I got my scrambler well used and quite old, it started life as a rental and then bought by a guy who seldom used it for 6-7 years and then sold to me for $90 Canadian. Oh, and it's pink, or a very faded red. Estimate age to be about 10-14 years. Identical to the Scrambler they build now.

In 3 words it can be described as SLOW, FUN, and VERSATILE. Itís also lightweight. Speed-slow, though not slower than most other recreational boats. Fun and Versatility-it can handle just about ANY ocean conditions with great ease and fun.

Tracking is better than you'd expect from a 11 ft long rec boat but thatís not saying much.

It CAN be used for overnight camping if you pack like a backpacker. Done it.

It makes a lot of bow slap so I wouldn't try sneaking up on anything in it.

At 45 pounds it's pretty light. They ARE prone to oil-canning like most plastic boats, and I donít think the plastic is that thick, but it survived 10+ yrs of abuse so can't be that bad. Don't abuse one of these (or any plastic boat for that matter) and it'll serve you for a VERY long time.

I'm 6'1 and 175#. I find the cockpit to be plenty long even if I was taller. Seat is very comfy. My girlfriend on the other hand hates the boat because it doesn't fit her hips right, so try before you buy.

Final Verdict = good recreational boat, though you should also consider most of other Ocean Kayak products and Wilderness Systems Tarpon sit-on-tops.