Submitted: 08-22-2005 by bob weiss

I have a 17ft plastic perception sea lion. Upon reading most of the reviews I feel like the customer who complains to a store about a particular product and is told nobody has ever complained before. I am not a highly experienced kayaker but have had some experience sea kayaking. I give the sea lion negative numbers for primary stability. To be exact it is so tipsy that I must use my paddles as outriggers just to make a shore line entry. Prior to learning this technique I would nearly capsize at almost every attempted entry. I recently was paddling successfully in some fairly heavy seas. The next day things calmed down a bit. Upon slowing down my paddling speed and letting my mind wander I was hit broadside by a wave which immediately flipped me over. I don't believe the wave was that large. I now question the secondary stability of the sea lion as well as its primary. I would truly appreciate some comments from experienced paddlers about my concerns. This has been about the third time I have taken this kayak out in rough water.