Submitted: 08-21-2005 by MMP

I purchased 2-Old Towns Loons 4 years ago and have taken them extensively on camping trips. I have a Yellow Loon 100 for me, and a Green Loon 111 for my girl friend.

I use them on flat water inland lakes and love the comfort, speed, and stability. I have rigged an anchor system that works flawlessly for Fishing on both boats.

We usually have a 3rd passenger "Peaches" our toy Poodle who loved Kayaking as much as we do. These boats are easy to pull up alongside and pass her between us or grab a soda etc.

Talk about great video moments or Digital Photo memories. Extremely stable no camera glitter and crystal clear.

One word of caution, I purposely capsized Mr Loon 100 in 4 feet of water to see if I could flip it back upright full of water, unlike a canoe, it doesn't work. The best I was able to do was get the boat 1/2 empty and attempted to get back in, which I did with no problem. But at this point the boat became completely unstable and continually rolled on either side with paddle horizontal to water it dumped me out every time. I always wear a PFD, but incase of mishap I always carry 4 extra cushions I wedge 1 in the Bow and 3 behind the seat for extra flotation in an emergency. If you dump along ways from shore and want to stay with the boat until help arrives, it won’t sink just grab onto the bow or stern handle and just relax. The Cushion behind seats works great for throwing to a swimmer or boater in trouble as well.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GET BACK IN, and as for trying to Pull or Tow the boat to shore while swimming, just remember there is 400-800 pounds of water in it preventing this from happening.