Submitted: 08-10-2005 by markfisher

I've had this boat for a few years as my first sea kayak. I purchased it with rudder and rigging. First, let me say it is a great first boat, but I want to relay some of the short comings I've found over time.

It is stable, but a leaned turn is still possible. The speed ain't great, but it is a 14 foot poly boat. It is a very noisy boat at speed. The water sort of gurgles at the bow. The cockpit is plenty big, but you will want to pad some areas of the rudder mechanism as it can hit you knees (I have the blood to prove it!).

If you are smaller (I'm 5'5"), the cockpit is actually a little too big. The boat needs the rudder of skeg to paddle with the waves otherwise it will broach (again, it is a 14 foot boat). It also tends to weathercock a fair amount, but it is controllable without the rudder. For me the trick to using the rudder is to deploy it only part way. The drag is noticeable and it is better if partially deployed.

Overall, it is a great 14 foot poly boat and I'm not sure you can do any better in that class. However, if you do stay with the sport and you paddle open water (ocean, Great Lakes) you will likely grow out of it in a few years. If I used it on flatwater exclusively, I'd probably have rated it higher.