Submitted: 08-10-2005 by andesign

I recently purchased a slightly used Mirage Outback and love it. I am new to kayaking, so also wanted to develop paddling skills as well. I quickly discovered that a short paddle doesn't function well on the Outback. This is both because of the beam as well as the squared off sides in way of the cockpit. Last week I purchased a Werner Skagit 240cm paddle and what a difference! I attribute that to both the increased paddle length as well as a true touring blade design. The other thing I quickly discovered is that adjusting the seat into a more upright position when paddling makes a significant difference. I only wish there was a better way of controlling the rudder when paddling, but I guess we can't have it all! All in all, the Outback has put a big grin on this 60 year old face!