Submitted: 01-18-2000 by JOHN R.

The 138 loon single is a marvelous boat. I have come to prefer it over my more "serious" kayaks and canoes which require constant attention. Anyone who wishes to use a kayak as a means of transportation while thinking about or doing other things such as sightseeing, fishing, hunting, etc., should relax and enjoy the experience much better in the loon than in most other such boats. The boat can make good speed, much better than most other somewhat similar recreational boats in its price bracket. I paddle the fringes of the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries, large Maine lakes and flatwater rivers. This boat is infinitely superior to any canoe if there is any breeze at all. The only time I prefer a canoe is for the elevation when I need to see subsurface objects, such as rocks, sandbars, etc. Finally, the lack of the "keelson" which clutters the floor/bilge of some kayaks makes keeping the inside of the loon clean and dry much simpler. If the boat were a foot longer (for just a bit more speed), it would be perfect.