Submitted: 08-07-2005 by Kevin

I just purchased my River X online from shipstore.com for $339 which looked to be the best price around. I was a little bit apprehensive about buying a whitewater kayak from Sevylor with images of pool toys staying in my head.

My kayak arrived at my home and I promptly set about putting the kayak together, test inflating it and seeing how it performed in my swimming pool.

Yesterday I took the kayak to the Esophus Creek in the Catskill Mountains of New York. This is a somewhat steep rock strewn creek with class II-III whitewater. The kayak performed very well and it was easy to maneuver around rocks and caught eddies very easily.

There were a couple of large standing waves where I was able to test out the self bailing floor. The River X does bail very slowly with larger whitewater and becomes a bit heavy until the water drained out in about 15-20 seconds.

The outer hull seems very strong and I was able to inflate the floor to a high degree of firmness. The only downside to the kayak that I can see so far is the use of cheap pool toy boston valves. These valves make inflating and deflating the kayak a lot more of a chore than with the Aire and Vista kayaks that I own.

Overall this is an excellent inflatable kayak for the money, and I hope to use it for many years to come.