Submitted: 08-05-2005 by Scott

I purchased my first Klepper Aerius II, new, in 1970. I enjoyed it very much for the next 8 years before the responsibilities of raising a young family caused me to sell it. I used it confidently in both lakes and the ocean. I treated it with care and, in return, it gave me excellent performance. It was plenty tough.

I recently purchased my second Klepper, a 2005 model Aerius II Classic. I didn't see the need for the heavier duty (and much more expensive) Expedition model. The overall quality is on par with my first Klepper of 35 years ago. The new boat enjoys many subtle improvements over the old one. It is made with better quality materials and is more robust. Workmanship is equal to the older kayak. The seats have been improved upon; they're now more comfortable. It now has the ability to have the seat moved to the center of the cockpit for solo paddling. It handles beautifully and identically to the old boat. While not a part of the kayak, paddle designs are much better today than they were years ago. I'm enjoying my Werner Kalliste paddles much more than I did my old Klepper wooden paddles. Paddling the kayak is easier and it goes faster with the new paddles.

Great kayak, then and now! Expensive, but worth it. No regrets. (Consider buying the third bag for packing the ribs, etc.; it makes packing and hauling around the disassembled kayak much easier.)