Submitted: 08-05-2005 by jmulder

I built this boat to be fast while still a beginner paddler. I advanced quickly through the learning curve thanks to the North Bay. This boat weathercocks with out the skeg kit, but once installed it tracks where you point it. Initial stability seems low at first, but that is only due to the v-hull design. It wants to sit still on one side or the other. Once used to that, your stability problems are over. The North Bay is a hand full in the surf, but you gain experience fast. Even though it is not easy to handle in surf, it can still be real fun!

I learned to roll in the North Bay, and after trying many designs I find it one of the easier to roll using a sweep/layback works for me. With 2 hatches this boat holds a ton of stuff and has more initial stability loaded. It travels fast and looks great. I found it straight forward to build and light weight.

Vasa, Inc.: