Submitted: 08-04-2005 by lakota

Chatham 18 (AC) is an excellent boat. I take the boat out on the lake about 3 times a weeks for an early morning paddle before doing some work. I liked the boat because of the low profile and fit. Stability and turning is excellent for a boat this length and width. The quality and workmanship was excellent on this boat. I didnít buy it for speed but it does a good 5.2 mph with a little effort, but I could cruise all day at 4 mph with very little effort. The boat seems to handle many different conditions well.

I took the boat to Maine with me on vacation and had a great time with it. It handled 2-foot bay chop and 15mph wind upwind, crosswind and downwind without a problem. I havenít used the skeg since I owned the boat and havenít seen a need yet. I think the skeg is a little flimsy and I donít want to depend on it. However since it has a skeg, I am going to have a machine shop make me one that is a little stiffer just in case. The bow and stern hatches did leak due to water sweeping over the bow and stern.

I donít like leakage especially on a long trip. What I use on all my boats is a silicone grease along the sealing edge of the boat end seal mate. Every boat that I have ever owned had leaky hatches Artic Hawk, Currituck, Montauk, and Epic 18.

If I could make a few recommendations to Necky that would be the following:

1. Smaller front hatch.
  2. Stiffer skeg.
  3. Lower front deck by 2Ē.
I love this boat as much as my Artic Hawk.