Submitted: 08-02-2005 by tncook
The Combi series are all geared towards dual tandem/solo use. I have two friends who have this boat and have spent a bit of time with it both solo and tandem. The first time I paddled this boat tandem I had just spent a week paddling 17'6" boats on an Algonquin trip. I took a look at this relatively tiny canoe and thought "I have shoes this big." I was surprised at how well this boat responded with me (210lb) in the stern and the owner (130lb) in the bow. The stern seat is almost at the middle of the boat and that helps trim the boat with two adults. Reversing paddling positions my weight brings the bow well into the water.

As a solo the canoe is as responsive as any other of Phils' hulls, just a bit wider than I like in a solo. I hope to get one of my own when I have children. This is a boat that kids can grow with. For two women this would be a hot freestyle tandem.