Submitted: 08-02-2005 by mitche
I took advantage of an L.L. Bean Paddlefest at the beach in front of the Cheasapeake Bay Foundation Headquarters near Annapolis Maryland. I tried a number of boats, including the Dirigo 10, 12, and 14. I found a lot to like about all these boats, they were extremely stable and easy to maneuver in the 1.5' swells on the bay that day. The seat was very comfortable and the built in knee pads were great. There was a generously sized dry well in the rear and a handy little dry well in the front of the cockpit, along with a usable cupholder. The handling was competent, but not very exciting. They were all a little ponderous although I disagree that they were slow. They seemed to get right along for me. I agree that these are definitely not boats for folks who cannot lift a little weight. If you had to haul these guys very far you will get some serious exercise.