Submitted: 07-22-2005 by Tony77

No one carries Cobra where we live and after trying to deliberate between the Navigtor and a Malibu boat (also unseen), I decided on the Nav. Beautiful in Mango coming out of the cardboard and plastic wrappers. Upon inspection most of the fit and finish seemd good outside of some bubbling in the plastic along the seatback edge of the tank well. One of mounting pins on a rod holder had sunk into the hull allowing the kayak to breath, but that should be easily remedied.

The two scuppers just before the center hatch should be plugged as they appear to be more for structural support. Ocean Kayak Blue scupper plugs fit. Red for the tank well (below) if you need it.

The Maiden Voyage: I am 6'4 285lbs 33/34 inseam. 42" waist. I had plugged the high scuppers but I put about 2 inches of water in the tank well and near my feet. Making the hull air tight should help because it will increase the air volume under me but I also put scupper plugs in the tank well as soon as I got home. The kayak fit me perfectly. In a relaxed position my feet just touch the last foot rest.

Despite sitting a little lower in the water than expected, the ride is excellent. Hull speed is exceptable and is very easy to paddle at that speed. Trying to maintain speed above that is truly a workout. (A word about paddling skills and speed: We were 3 on the water. My friend who is nearly twice my age with far superior paddling experience was able to stay ahead of me, and smoke our buddy in a Carolina 14.5, in an 11 foot Explorer.)

Even after taking a few waves over the bow and the A hatch - the interior was bone dry.