Submitted: 07-20-2005 by samelnyk
Let me begin with the negatives of this kayak. I own two other Feathercrafts -- a Kahuna and a K1. Unlike these two boats, the Java does not come together as well. The side stringers did not assemble as well -- they did not join as tightly as in a K1. The boat needs the skeg. For my boat, with the skeg up, the boat handled like a drop of water on a hot plate. The skeg is not as easy to deploy as it should be.

Okay, having identified the weaknesses of the Java, lets talk about what makes this boat so neat. It is so simple to use; it is just plain fun. With a regular kayak, there is a "protocol" -- you put on the sprayskirt; you put on the PFD; you ensure that you have a paddle float available. This takes time. With the Java, you grab your PFD and your paddle. Attach the paddle to the lash and get in the water. The boat moves well; the turning of the boat is amazing; the boat is stable (even when the water is not). Even though it is a wet ride, it is a fun ride. This boat introduces you to kayaking in its simplest form.

A fun boat and one that I am glad that I got.