Submitted: 07-18-2005 by jdbenge

Bought the Patriot a week ago and have really enjoyed it. This is my first kayak, and I don't have much experience. I see what people say about tracking, but I tested a Hobie Mirage and it didn't 'track' any better. I've talked to other kayakers that own different models and they say the same thing about their kayaks. I've since learned how to correct the tracking with the paddle and I am very pleased. I take my GPS out to see how far and fast I go and the max speed seems to be around 5.6 mph. Pretty fast for a rec kayak.

I went out to a local club Friday night paddle and three of the four guys there had Patriots. We all agreed it was a good kayak for the money.

A word of warning: inspect it closely before buying. I looked down the keel line of one and the stern was an inch to the left of the rest of the keel. Another had a big dent in the hull in front of the cockpit like someone had stepped on it. It seems that the soft plastic will give if it is stored wrong.

The biggest issue I have with it is the huge cockpit. It is great except I'm not sure where I'll mount my fishfinder and GPS. If I do it in front of the cockpit it is so far away its hard to read and reach. I'll figure something out.