Submitted: 07-11-2005 by softsmithjr
Solstice GT UPDATE - I entered my original note on the Solstice GT about a year ago after my initial purchase. Although I rated the boat highly at that time I did have one concern. I had read a review of the Solstice in the February 2004 issue of Sea Kayaker. In that review most of the reviewers raved about the boat with one exception - rolling. Two of the reviewers had somewhat negative comments about the solstice seat back being too high for laid back rolls.

Well I am happy to report that after taking a few pool rolling lessons in a WW boat this past winter I am now able to roll not only my WW boat but also my Solstice - VERY EASILY!!! Yes, the back of the combing on the Solstice is a bit high but it does not interfere with rolling at all. I'm 60 years old and overweight, if I can lay back and roll it EASILY, anyone can.

I don't know what planet the Sea Kayaker reviewers were from but their review was off the mark on this issue. Perhaps it is a relative thing, the Gulfstream/Sorroco would be easier to lay back on the deck. Agreed. But these boats aren't any easier to roll in my estimation (I did try the Sorroco). Unless my Kevlar version is much lighter and more buoyant than the boat they tested which might explain their review. In any event, if you haven't already guessed it I LOVE MY SOLSTICE even more today than when I purchased it.

PS - this is a super great boat if you are top heavy (big chest/broad shoulders/etc). Unbelievable stability on edge for high center of gravity people like me.