Submitted: 07-11-2005 by sammyj123

1) There is a known defect in the lock core holder/cylinder on the Hullavator. Thule confirmed it was a design error, and expects newly designed lock cylinder holders this fall. The lock core spins within the Hullavator and will not secure the Hullavator. This is not an installation problem, but a manufacturing defect. The result, any key will open the Hullavator. And at $379 that is a big risk. Thule is issuing cable locks to customers until a fix is worked out. This is not a lock core issue, but a lock core receptacle issue on the Hullavator.

2) I have found that the hull of my 16 ft Perception Carolina distorts/bends/sags when transported on the Hullavator on a sunny day. And the sagging even occurred without the bow a stern straps attached. This never happened with my J-bars. I have had to lay the kayak in the sun to get the hull shape back.

3) I have a very high vehicle, and the Hullavator makes it much easier to get the 16 ft boat up, but the way it supports the boat flat does not seem to agree with my boat and I will be returning the Hullavator. The Hullavator is a great idea, just needs some more time for improvement.

H2O Paddles: