Submitted: 07-11-2005 by Ben

I already have a solo sit on top, but wanted a tandem to take other less proficient paddlers along for a ride from time to time. I also thought this was good boat because it can also be paddled by a solo paddler. I tested both this boat and the Ocean Kayak Agean. Even though the Tarpon is a bit wider, I felt it cut through the water better than the Agean. With the extra width, it is also more stable and more room.

This boat does very well with two paddlers. However, I am actually rethinking my purchase of the boat. I have used the boat much more as a solo paddler boat than a tandem. Even though the boat does fine as a solo, its deficiencies are seen when paddled next to my Tarpon 140, which is an excellent boat by the way. Soon after I purchased the boat I took it on a two day, 20 mile paddle. On this paddle I encountered 20+ mph winds and 3 foot seas. I'm a pretty strong paddler, and I could only manage a half mph, according to my GPS, for around 3 miles. It was miserable! The boat sits high out of the water, so wind has a big impact. Another down side to the boat if you intend to take it on trips is its lack of dry storage. You better have a lot of dry bags, because you can't fit much in the two tiny day hatches.

This is an excellent boat for what it is intended to do...be a tandem. However, if you're thinking you may use this boat as a solo paddler routinely on trips over five miles, I'd consider a boat made for a solo paddler.