Submitted: 01-12-1999 by Don Hubbard

The plastic gypsy is a wonderful small boat made of cross-linked polyethylene, which makes it virtually indestructible. The one I use was purchased for my wife and we use it in the waters around San Diego on modest trips and for bird watching in the Bay. The boat is good and stable, and the cockpit is large enough to allow easy in and out movement. I added a rudder to the boat because directional stability is a bit sketchy for an inexperienced paddler. I don't use the rudder when I paddle the boat, but my wife has some small problems without it (technique). The weight it a bit higher than I like (it weighs a little more than my 17" Kevlar Seda Swift), but this is not a major problem if the two of us get together to lift it to the top of my VW bus. Because I sometimes have visitors who want to paddle here, I often use the Gypsy myself and let the guest have my Swift. I am sold on this 15-foot boat and would recommend it to anyone looking for a real, but diminutive, sea kayak.