Submitted: 07-08-2005 by Saint

I purchased the Quest approximately 4 weeks ago. I will use the kayak solely for fishing. I have been out on 8 different occasions and have to say I am very pleased with this boat.

Tracking: I've heard rumors of this boat not tracking well. I purchased the yak with the rudder system and have had no issues with its ability to track. Furthermore, with the rudder system, I was surprised with its ability to maintain a straight line.

Hatches: The front hatch, despite its likeness to a toilet bowl, is awesome. It is easily accessed and can fit a cow striper in the hull with no problem. The 8" hatch in the cockpit is nice, but I do agree with the previous review in the fact that it needs a bag system to get the maximum utilization.

Rod Holders: The cockpit offers up a flat section (just above the cup holder) between the leg rests that can be used for a front position rod holder (Scotty). The two molded in rod holders behind the seat are fairly shallow and would trust them in rough water. Two PVC pipes will do the trick to ensure you don't lose any gear.

Performance: I have no problem getting the boat up to 5mph with a little extra effort. Speed is sufficient. The hull slaps a little in rough water, but it really doesn't pose any problems. Stability of the boat is great.

Miscellaneous: The side compartments, with the mesh cover, are a great idea. I used it to store various tools, such as; lip gripper, pliers, knife, etc. This is a great idea and wish it was utilized in other yaks. The weight of the yak is tolerable for loading and unloading the yak off the roof of my truck. It's not Pungo light, but itís certainly not Fish N dive heavy.

All in all, I love this boat. There is a sense of safety due to its stability and the comfort is unmatched as compared to other boats I have demo'd. I have fished long hours without the slightest soreness in the back or legs caused by poor layout. Fishing from this yak is easy and provides great storage capabilities. A little pricey, but I'd buy it again if I had to do it all over again.

Point 65: