Submitted: 07-08-2005 by pick

This canoe is great at 68 lbs. While there is no rating that I have seen in the material or on the boat, I've added a 3 hp Evinrude, with a Motor Mount. It pushes the canoe which tracks superbly under power, but requires extensive weight in the front end in order to keep water from piling in over the rear (due to my weight). I have compensated by taking (2) 40lb bags of concrete mix pouring them into 2 Heavy Plastic Bags place them in the front of the canoe and then added water and let harden to form the same shape as the canoe. It can be removed when you have another person when using an outboard motor.

Initial stability is "okay" secondary stability is pretty darn good, especially consider I had my 110 lb Retriever out for both of my test drives. I am still going to add a "stabilizer" to this canoe as I will use it for duck hunting in shallow ponds and marshes. As for portability! Great I'd give her a "10" rating - Hey it's 68 pounds, yo'ld just have to buy a Kevlar Canoe for another 1,000 Dollars to get a canoe this big this light. The canoe is actually manufactured by Johnson Outdoors in Orlando Fla. for Dick's Sporting Goods as this is their "brand". This is the exact same canoe as the Old Town, "OT", which is being marketed/sold in Sam's Club's (Looks like even Johnson made that for Old Town?).

What I don't like: Very little, but the canoe does not hold its shape well, this includes while motoring. The Hull has a tendency to displace, but it did not impact the performance of the canoe.