Submitted: 07-05-2005 by pdodge77

I've had my Carolina 16 since April (3 months) and I've used it about 15 times now. Overall I'd say it's a great boat.

It tracks really well (even without the rudder) and it does pretty well with speed. It does take some effort to keep up with people in skinnier and longer boats, but that's to be expected.

It has performed really well for me in wind (with minimal weather cocking). Of course, if I had the rudder that would likely not be an issue at all. I have not yet had it in waves much bigger than 1 or 1.5 feet, but it's done great in those conditions. It cuts through the waves great, does well in trailing seas, and has kept me upright when I've been caught off guard by the wake from power boats.

The Carolina 16 is great for tall people. I'm 6' 3" and mostly legs and it was one of the few boats in this price range that accommodated my legs and size thirteen feet. I'd like it more if it was a few inches narrower, but I can't complain too much about that.

My only real complaint is that both bulkheads leak a little. After practicing wet exits and rescues in the pool for an hour or so, there was a decent amount of water in both the bow and stern compartments. It's not a big issue, more a minor annoyance. I do have to leave the hatch covers off to let it dry out, or it gets a bit funky in there.

The only other issue is that the added volume of the cockpit means that you're pumping out that much more water after a capsize.

The other issue is that the plastic does seem a little soft. The Carolina already has more scratches than the Necky Alsek that I upgraded from.

If you're a big/tall person get the 16, if you can fit in something faster/sportier, go for it.