Submitted: 06-30-2005 by kg4ena

Like most here I did my research, I have another boat hard shell. I find it takes about same amount of time getting the Advanced Frame out of the bag and inflated. I have the foot pump from Advanced Elements, it takes about 5-7 minutes to inflate.

Removing the hard shell from the roof racks, carrying or dragging the boat to the water is more of a problem for me.

My first trip on Upper Lake Marry just out side of Flagstaff AZ was an overnight. All went well, I found out after getting on the water the boat was sluggish and un-responsive. I came to the realization the Advanced Frame was not properly inflated. After reaching a suitable camp I deflated the boat and read the instructions.

I just looked at the picture, and took it from there. After properly inflating the kayak it paddled like a dream. Speed and handling improved. I read several articles where people have made plywood floors. I do not believe this to be necessary when properly inflating the kayak.

On my second trip to another lake in the area, after properly inflating the kayak, I was able to cruse the lake with no problem, speed was consistent with the other kayaks on the lake. The Advanced Frame is extremely stable, turns very well and paddles with little effort.

My next trip was to Black Canyon, below the Hover Dam on the Colorado River. This boat performed extremely well. I paddled up River wind and current were not any problem. I find plenty of room for packing gear into the boat for an overnight trip. Trips lasting more than a few days might be a problem. I have added Wildwasser Deck Pilot low profile deck bag. To store readily used items.

The Advanced Elements 4 piece paddle is not that great in my opinion. I prefer an Asymmetrical feathered paddle, I find Harmony Sea Passage Paddle - Glass Nylon Blade/Aluminum Shaft a better choice, itís a 2 piece. I plan to keep the Advanced Elements 4 piece as an extra when on trips.

Proper inflation is the key! The foot pump works just fine, I have found that each time I go out It just gets better.

I modified my ground pad (Blue Foam from Wal-Mart) by cutting to fit the shape of the floor. It allows for storage with not taking any extra room. It also keeps my dogís toe nails from making holes in the inflatable floor. Thus making very nice sleeping pad on those overnights, I use together with the inflatable floor.

Drying and putting away is meticulous process, sitting on the folded boat (valves open) make getting back into the bag much easier. It allows room then for the life jackets me & dog, foot pump and bilge pump.

In all I like this boat more every time I use it!