Submitted: 06-30-2005 by BT

I have used an OC Prowler 13 for about a year now to fish the protected bays near the Gulf in Southwestern Louisiana. I love the Prowler 13, but the ride is not entirely dry and it is not nimble enough to chase redfish or specks when they are feeding. I purchased a Big Yak in hopes of a drier ride, increased stability, and something easier to turn when I needed to do so. The Big Yak has proved just dandy thank you. Despite what you read in some reviews, the Big Yak is not slow, it turns on a proverbial dime, paddles fairly straight on flatwater if you have any paddling sense at all, and it does very well in rough water. In fact, it is faster than my Prowler 13 in that the Big Yak rides over the waves and does not lose much speed while the Prowler 13 comes to a near stop every time the bow plows into a good sized wave.

A little imagination and some bungi cord work, and the Big Yak is a very easy to load in a standard truck bed, extremely stable, inexpensive, and great fun. I strongly recommend the Crazy Creek Kayak III air inflatable seat from Cabelas. It is a third of the price of other high end yak seats, most comfortable for all day fishing; your butt does not get numb. The Big Yak has a high seat and thus, drier ride. The air seat elevates your butt another inch or more and makes for an even drier ride. Get a 230 cm paddle. The Big Yak is wide> I love it. No yak scores a 10 yet…