Submitted: 06-28-2005 by Kevin L

Well folks it's been a little more than 4 years since my first Northwind review. I bought (back in March 2001) the Black Gold with wood trim and clear/clearcoat (minor mistake) and the hull clearly shows all the rocks, trees, floating tires and other crap I've smashed into. I've paddled many small and large lakes, run rivers (in Oregon) rated at Class III+, and spent a few lazy afternoons just drifting along casting for Bass or Trout. Although I primarily paddle solo, this craft tracks and turns well with two, three or 600lbs of gear.

Having read all the other reviews here and comparing my experiences, I think the Northwind is a good investment. The only advice I can offer is to try several other canoes (ie. Souris River, Mad River, Clipper, Wenonah etc.) with similar characteristics, weigh each with similar variables and you may find that Bell still leads the way. If you're looking for "bang for the buck"; I've banged at least $4000.00 worth of rocks and my Northwind still runs strong and true.